Leaders in Diversity
Berkeley Lab’s Diversity & Inclusion Council consists of Berkeley Lab employees, selected by their respective division director, to provide advice and counsel to Berkeley Lab senior management and their division management on diversity related issues. In addition, council members execute on special initiatives which strengthen our diversity culture.
The Diversity & Inclusion Council’s goal is to enhance our work environment so that we can recruit and retain a workforce that reflects the diversity of the local community, the nation and the world. The Council provides a forum for identifying and sharing programs and practices that have proven their effectiveness in enhancing diversity.
Diversity & Inclusion Council Charter
The Lab’s Diversity & Inclusion Council charter is to foster innovative actions that create an inclusive work environment that makes full use of the contributions of all employees.
The goal of the Council is to help support a workforce that reflects and embraces the diversity of our community, nation and the world.
Diversity & Inclusion Council Objectives
Create synergy between division/department diversity and inclusion action plans and initiatives
Share diversity and inclusion best practices across the Laboratory
Create and execute new initiatives that promote diversity and inclusion in divisions and the Laboratory
Visibly recognize and communicate diversity and inclusion best practices achievements throughout the Laboratory
Identify and address emerging issues that can impact our diversity culture
2015 Diversity and Inclusion Council Roles and Responsibilities
At Division Level
Meet twice a year with Division Directors for input on lab-wide and division diversity and inclusion programs
Partner with HR Division Partner and HR Recruiter to develop and coordinate divisions’ diversity and inclusion efforts
Provide guidance to division managers and staff on diversity and inclusion issues
Provide input to interview panels or hiring managers emphasizing the importance of diversity at the Lab/Division level
At Lab-wide Level
Bring best practices on diversity and inclusion from other organizations to the Lab
Sponsor Diversity and Inclusion Speakers and Social Activities to encourage and educate employees on diversity and inclusion
Nominate staff on contributions to diversity and inclusion efforts lab-wide as part of the Lab Recognition Awards Program
Recommend actions on diversity concerns brought forth in the Lab Employee Survey and gain management’s support
Serve as an advisory committee for employee programs that impact lab-wide diversity and inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion Council Representatives
A representative from each division is actively involved in fostering diversity and inclusiveness at the lab as part of the Lab Diversity & Inclusion Council.
D&I Council Directory
Diversity & Inclusion Subcommittees
- Diversity & Inclusion Speakers & Social Activities (see Speakers tab, this page)
- Influence the Lab’s culture and contribute to the Lab’s mission by bringing attention and awareness to the value of the diverse workforce through education, activities, and coordination with senior leadership
- Chair Kelly Montgomery, Business Manager, Physical Biosciences Division
- Strategic Recruitment
- Recommend strategies to recruit and retain staff from diverse backgrounds
- Provide guidance for best practices on standard process
- Review ideas for tracking career advancement
- UCOP Work Environment Survey Subcommittee
- Based on the results of the 2013 UC Employee Environment Survey and research on best practices, recommend to senior management policies and strategies that foster a culture of diversity and inclusion
- Performance and Development Advisory Subcommittee (status – on hold)
- Provide guidance and input to Berkeley Lab’s performance and development programs
- Primary Representative, Christian Kisielowski, Materials Staff Scientist, Material Sciences Division
- Workload Subcommittee (status – on hold)
- Analyze how work requirements of some jobs impact work/life balance
- Chair TBD
Past Activities and Events
Please click here to view past events sponsored by the D&I Council.