Lab Director Mike Witherell, in partnership with the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Office, has announced the launch of Berkeley Lab’s DEI Senior Leadership Council. The purpose of the Council is to provide senior leadership support and guidance toward achieving the Lab’s strategic DEI goals. Members will champion DEI culture throughout the Lab, and oversee the newly formed DEI Advisory Board. This Board will help develop the Lab’s DEI Annual Work Plan, and collaborate with the DEI Office to implement and improve programs (more information to come). The DEI Senior Leadership Council will report to Director Witherell.
“For the Lab to remain at the forefront of science, we need to continue our efforts to create an inclusive and equitable work environment that helps us to attract and retain a diverse workforce. Our Lab-wide DEI initiative is a critical part of this preparation for the future, and it is an increasingly important part of the Lab’s culture,” said Director Witherell.
“The new DEI Senior Leadership Council will help carry out our commitment to ensure that diversity, equity, and inclusion become hallmarks of the Berkeley Lab culture. This council will provide senior management’s support and guidance toward achieving the Lab’s strategic DEI goals. The leadership and perspectives of our council members will be invaluable as we move forward with our strategy and vision for our organization.”
Senior Leadership Councilmembers include:
- Michael Brandt – Laboratory Deputy Director for Operations
- David Brown – Division Director, Computational Research
- Bill Collins – Division Director, Climate & Ecosystem Sciences
- Glenn Kubiak – Former Laboratory Deputy Director for Operations (ret’d)
- Mary Maxon – Associate Laboratory Director (ALD), Biosciences
- Inder Monga – Division Director, Scientific Networking
- Jeff Neaton – Associate Laboratory Director (ALD), Energy Sciences
- Mary Sidney – Former Deputy of Operations, Energy Technologies (ret’d)
- Blake Simmons – Division Director, Biological Systems & Engineering
- Horst Simon – Laboratory Deputy Director for Research
- Theresa Triplett – Interim Director, Institutional Assurance and Integrity
- Henrik Von Der Lippe – Division Director, Engineering
(* Note: List updated on April 24, 2018)
For any questions, please contact Berkeley Lab’s DEI Office at DEI@lbl.gov.