I am writing to share some bittersweet news: Dr. Janie Pinterits, our esteemed DEI Program Manager, has decided to embark on the next chapter of her life and retire on June 29th.
Since joining us in 2019 as the first hire of the IDEA Office, Janie has been instrumental in shaping and advancing our initiatives and supporting our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs). Her expertise and unwavering commitment to fostering a more inclusive workplace have had a profound impact on Berkeley Lab. Through her tireless efforts, Janie has helped to create a more welcoming and equitable environment for our colleagues, and her legacy will continue to resonate for years to come.
I am proud to share some of Janie’s notable accomplishments below:
- Provided ERG leadership development and support for over 120 ERG leaders. Starting with six ERGs in 2019 to nine ERGs now: helped to grow ERG membership from 466 to 1,476 members (and growing!) at Berkeley Lab.
- Recipient of the 2023 Laboratory Director’s Award for Exceptional Achievement in IDEA as part of the Labwide Mentoring Committee. Co-led the development of Labwide programs, e.g., Just-In-Time Speed Mentoring events and 10 Cups Networking workshops to enhance professional development.
- Demonstrated leadership within the broader ERG community and served as a conference speaker at the first ERG summits for UCOP and DOE headquarters and national labs.
- Developed and launched IDEAs in Action resources: creating toolkits and facilitating learning workshops, e.g., psychological safety, being an upstander and ally, creating a culture of feedback, and addressing issues such as microaggressions and incivility.
- Promoted behavioral and mental health at the Lab, especially during the pandemic, through programs such as Wellness in the New Normal and Solo@Home as part of the All Access ERG.
- Strengthened partnerships with Human Resources and ERGs to promote career advancement, professional development, retention, outreach, and recruitment.
- Convened ERG forums on societal issues such as xenophobia and anti-Asian hate during the pandemic, the Ukraine conflict, and the Dobbs decision.
- And Janie’s personal favorite: partnered closely with outstanding colleagues across the entire Lab to enhance belonging and inclusion, and improve team effectiveness through advancing diversity and equity at the Lab!
Beyond her professional contributions, Janie has been a cherished colleague and friend to many of us. Her kindness, empathy, and wisdom have left an indelible mark on the IDEA team and the ERG community at large: Berkeley Lab, UCOP, and DOE HQ and national lab complex.
As Janie prepares to embark on a new adventure, please share your appreciation for her countless contributions to the Lab. While we will miss her dearly, we wish her nothing but joy and fulfillment in her well-deserved retirement. We will be posting an announcement for her position within the coming week, so please help us spread the word and take advantage of the Employee Referral Incentive Program.
Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer