K-12 Outreach Training Sessions
- When: Thursday, January 23, 2020, 9:00 am and 1:00pm (Sessions are 2 hours in length)
- Where: 2-100B
- What: Volunteers interested in learning how to facilitate BLISS KIT modules should attend this session. Sessions are two hours in length and will cover module content, science communication and classroom management. Sessions will take place on the fourth week of each month. Please complete the form to indicate your participation.
- The next session will take place on Friday, February 28, 2020.
Berkeley Lab Teaching Scholars Brown Bag
- When: Monday, January 27, 2020
- Where: Pers Hall
- What: Interested in learning more about the Berkeley Lab TEaching SCholars program? This brown bag will give staff a chance to hear more about the benefits of participating and our efforts to encourage more students to pursue STEM careers. Learn more about the program and RSVP through the google form on the website.
- When: Richmond and Pinole Valley High – January 30, 2020
- Where: Berkeley Lab main campus
- What: On January 30, 2020 Berkeley Lab will welcome 90 young women from the Engineering Academies at Pinole Valley and Richmond High. Volunteers will complete a career mapping exercise with students over lunch and/or show students where they work at the Lab. Complete the form to volunteer for a session.
- When: Spring 2020 – Beginning February
- What: We are partnering with Pilot City to provide students an opportunity to conduct a small project this spring. Mentors will provide a project for students to complete in their classrooms over a six week period. High School teachers will guide students with the help of their LBNL mentor. Mentors are expected to meet with the high school teacher during their visit to the Lab (2 hours; lunch provided) and correspond via physical visit, email and/or video with students (~1 hour a week over six weeks). Additional time will be needed to prepare the project.
- Teachers have an interest in partnering with the following subject areas:
- Environmental Science
- Computer Science
To volunteer, sign up via our google form.
- When: Saturday, March 7, 2020
- Where: CSU East Bay
- What: MESA will bring together 600 middle and high school students in a day of STEM activities, project presentations and design challenges. Berkeley Lab will facilitate several demonstrations and activities throughout the day. We are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to help out during the day. Please sign up via google form.
This year MESA will be celebrating 50 years of helping underserved and underrepresented students achieve success in STEM studies and careers.
- When: Saturday, March 21, 2020
- Where: Berkeley Lab Main Campus
- What: Nuclear Science Day for Scouts will be celebrating its 10th year! The Lab will welcome over 100 Girl Scouts and BSA youths in grades 8 or higher. Volunteers are needed for tours, short workshops, demonstrations and logistics. Find the volunteer form here.
Bring a Kid to Work Day (BKTW aka DSTW)
- When: Friday, April 17 2020 8:30 am – 4:00 pm
- Where: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory main campus and satellite offices
- What: On April 17, 2020 Berkeley Lab will celebrate the 26th annual Bring a Kid to Work Day (formerly known as DSTW)! We are looking for volunteers who are interested in leading workshops and demonstrations throughout the day. We’ll be bringing back our favorite demonstrations and activities but are also looking to incorporate new ideas. If you are interested in volunteering and/or serving in an advisory capacity please sign up via google form.