This month—July 26, to be exact—marks the 30th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the landmark civil rights legislation that works to increase access and opportunity for people with disabilities across community life, including employment. The All Access Employee Resource Group has planned a Week of Action to raise awareness about disability inclusion and equality.
Sunday, July 26th
- Today marks the 30th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act!
- Goal for the week: Raise awareness on disability inclusion and equality.
Monday, July 27th
- Reflection: Work to better understand our unconscious bias and dismantle assumptions about people with disabilities.
- Action: Watch 5 minute video Unconscious Biases: Shattering Assumptions and Surprising Ourselves.
- Event – 12 noon: Informal discussion during virtual community Zoom break at noon.
- Watch Recording:
Tuesday, July 28th
- Reflection: Gain information on various disabilities and learn about disability etiquette.
- Action: Download and read Disability:IN’s Disability Etiquette guide.
- Event – 12 noon: Informal discussion during virtual community Zoom break at noon
- Watch Recording:
Wednesday, July 29th
- Reflection: Raise awareness on disability inclusion and equality.
- Action: Watch “CripCamp: A Disability Revolution”. A movie about how a groundbreaking summer camp galvanized a group of teens with disabilities to help build a movement, forging a new path toward greater equality.
- Event- 6 pm: Watch a group viewing from 6pm-8pm of “CripCamp: A Disability Revolution” — or stream the film yourself on Netflix.
- To join film screening, please register using the following form: https://forms.gle/Cxvv9Dhb1BE3WNh1A
- Requires: Netflix streaming; Chrome browser; & NetflixParty plugin
- Prior to watch party: Go to www.netflixparty.com in the Chrome browser & follow on-screen instructions.
Thursday, July 30th
- Reflection: Dig deeper and understand how our institution can gain the disability advantage.
- Action: Share your experiences to start a dialogue using the official 2020 hashtag #DisabilityAdvantage
- Event – 12 noon: An informal discussion via Zoom on the numerous business advantages of hiring and supporting people with disabilities. For optional preparation, download and read Getting to Equal: The Disability Inclusion Advantage, a report developed by Accenture in partnership with Disability:IN and the American Association of People with Disabilities. 12:00-1:00 pm
Friday, July 31st
- Reflection: Empower peers to take action in their own capacity and role.
- Action: Engage with your Employee Resource Group to help brainstorm ways we can increase engagement and awareness Lab-wide using ERG Toolkit & Resources from Disability:IN.
- Event – 12 noon: Informal discussion during virtual community Zoom break at noon – “What does the 30th anniversary of the ADA mean to you?”
- Watch recording: