The Lambda Alliance celebrate on March 31 with a coffee break dedicated to celebrating transgender people in science and society.
They shared a variety of resources:
- UN Free & Equal: Being a trans ally is easier than you think:
- Gallup poll from 2020:
- Human Rights Campaign TDOV 2020:
- TED talk: “A short history of Transgender people’s long fight for equality from Samy Nour Younes”:
- LGBTQ in STEM: Advice from LGBTQ scientists:
- Berkeley Lab’s Gender Identity & Transition Guidelines:
- If you are out at work, consider adding your profile to 500 Queer Scientists:
The DOE tweeted about Berkeley Lab’s Gender Identity & Transition Guidelines:
Secretary Granhom shared the following letter with the DOE community:
During today’s International Transgender Day of Visibility, as the Secretary of Energy I celebrate the courage of our transgender and gender nonconforming employees and contractors. Yet, even as we stand in solidarity and support with transgender and gender nonconforming people, we also acknowledge the work that needs to be done to achieve acceptance and justice for these people and communities – especially for transgender people of color, who often face harassment, oppression, violence, and murder.
Our transgender colleagues and neighbors matter. And DOE will stand by you.
Our employee resource group, GLOBE, has done important work over the past decades to be a catalyst for inclusion and conversation at headquarters. Additionally, National Lab LGBTQIA+ Employee Resource Groups have created guides for National Lab managers and coworkers around equity and inclusion for transgender and gender nonconforming people. You can learn more here with these examples:
- Berkeley Lab’s Lambda Alliance Guide: https://diversity.lbl.gov/gender-identity-and-transition/
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory’s Prism Guide: https://www.pnnl.gov/diversity-inclusion
I will also be uplifting this important day with posts on our social media accounts at @ENERGY and @SecGranholm on Twitter, and Facebook. I encourage you to express your support for the trans community in person and on social media too, in your personal time.
On day one of this job, I told you that diversity, inclusion, and equity strengthens our workforce. On this International Transgender Day of Visibility, I promise you that I will be a booster and fierce advocate, and will always be in your corner
Secretary of Energy