The IDEA Office and the Learning and Organizational Development Office invite employees across the lab to join Equity Reset – a program dedicated to anti-racism learning and practice that includes a self-guided curriculum and three monthly community forums called first Fridays.
Our first session this fall is October 7th. The following dates are Friday, November 4 and Friday, December 2.
Equity Reset is open to all Lab staff – please share this invitation with your colleagues, groups, divisions and areas.
- Friday, October 7 – Reflection self-guided curriculum
- Friday, November 4 – Reflection self-guided curriculum
- Friday, December 2 – Action self-guided curriculum
Time*: either 10 am – 12 noon or 2-4 pm
*The sign-up form allows you to indicate which time works best for your schedule.
More information and the curriculum can be found on the equity reset website: https://www.equityreset.work/
If you’re new to Equity Reset, registration is required – please sign up here: First Friday Sign Up Form
If you have attended previous Equity Reset sessions and/or previously signed up for updates, you do not need to sign up again.
Event details, including the Zoom links, will be emailed in advance of each First Friday.
What Is an “Equity Reset”?
“Equity Reset” is an ongoing & evolving approach to racial equity learning, development, & action. It is a way to operationalize Berkeley Lab’s organizational value of stewardship, and embody the behaviors and practices essential to sustaining a diverse, inclusive, equitable work culture. An Equity Reset calls for the interruption of business-as-usual and the recurring allocation of time and attention–two of our most precious resources– towards anti-racism work.
The goal of the Equity Reset approach is to move each of us from being passive participants in race conversations into active ones, from feeling powerless and confused in the face of systemic racial [and other forms of] inequity to feeling a sense of ownership and purpose around our own practice of antiracism at Berkeley Lab, in our professional lives, and beyond.
How Do I Participate?
The program encompasses two levels of learning:
- Individual/Team Level – Each employee is invited to work through the Equity Reset curriculum on their own or in self-organized peer learning circles. You can begin using the curriculum immediately.
- Community Level – On the First Friday of every month, we will hold structured, facilitated Equity Reset Community Forums for employees across the Lab to exchange learnings & workshop their anti-racism commitments.
What is Expected of Me?
To participate you are expected to:
- Dedicate at least 1-2 hours of work time monthly to self-study. This self-study can be completed on First Fridays, in advance of the Community Forum, or completed independently (alone or with your team) on any other day. Start with the “Reflection” content for months 1 & 2 and then move to “Action” in month 3.
- Attend First Friday Community Forums (2 hours monthly, at least 3 months in a row)